Monday, November 25, 2013

no pumpkin pies anywhere!!!!


You did send me that knock knock joke, but that is okay i still laughed at it again.  it is a clever one. did you make it up all by yourself Adam?? 

We sent Rachel one of Adam's favorite jokes, twice I guess (no, he did not make it up).  
 
Adam:  "Why did the chicken cross the road?"
Mom:  "I don't know, why?"
Adam:  "To get to the idiot's house."
Mom:  "hehe...I don't get it." 
 ...about 1 minute later ...
Adam:  "Knock, knock"
Mom:  "Who's there"
Adam:  "The Chicken". 
Mom:  "Oh... I get it."  
  
 dad doing doughnuts on Florida avenue isn't probably the safest thing to do.... ha i am glad you are safe.  way more exciting than anything that has happened to me this week.  perfect timing for mum to be driving by.  don't you love those little "coincidences".  Heavenly Father cares about the little details of our lives.   

i would love that stop smoking kit mum thank you! i also have a quick question, not related to smoking at all, but have you heard of cous cous..... because i have never heard of it before, but i am now addicted.  the ingredients and instructions and nutritional info are all in some strange language, so i was wondering if you could look it up for me and tell me what the heck i am eating -- at least one meal every day ha but you would be proud of me i eat it with tons of vegetables. honestly i am eating a lot healthier than i ever have, so relax! quit worrying. i promise i am not starving.  i could use a bit of starving, it would help me fit into my skirts better haha

On Tuesday to Wednesday we had an exchange. it wasn't really an exchange she just came to our area with us so we were in a trio.  Sister Hymas.  she is from my MTC group we rode over on the plane together and sat next to each other on the bus to the MTC, so it was really fun.  We were having a party that night, I find any excuse to have a party.  but sister coons wasn't feeling well so it was just us two.  we were hula hooping, yes we have those in our flat, and i was trying to do it on my arm raised in the air and it whacked the light and broke the bulb.  so when i was replacing it (it was complicated), i got my finger stuck in the metal circle around the bulb, but i didn't realise it was stuck and so at the exact moment that i was announcing my victory at having figured out how to screw in the bulb,  hopping off the chair and saying " man i am a genius" my finger ripped out of the metal part and the skin all on my finger got ripped off and started bleeding.  it was quite ironic.  but at this party i discovered 2 things.  A) i have been living in denial my whole life because i really do like quesadillas and i just always say i don't and i have no idea why, and B)  quesadillas and pasta sauce are REALLY Good together.  try it. 

oh and to make the switch for the exchange i got to go back to Watford..... that was trippy. it seemed like i was just there a few weeks ago, but it was about 8 months! ahhhh.... lucky i remembered my way around because everyone else was lost.    

oh and Wednesday it snowed no biggie. :(   and by snow i mean wind rain, hail, snow, everything all at once, i was quite impressed that the clouds could do that.  but since, it has been super clear skies, SUPER cold but really clear.  so no complaints if i can see the sun even if it is freezing i am happy.  but yes i guess it makes more sense that i buy warm gloves here instead of you buying them in southern ca.... but it is not as fun as unwrapping them, but i guess i will survive. oh just got some inspiration, i will wrap them and everything and write on the package that they are from you, and then i get to unwrap them! how is that?    

guess what? great news!  a senior missionary couple just moved into the ward, literally today, and they invited us over for a thanksgiving dinner on thursday. YAY!!!!!! without them i would have been thanksgivingless..... but my quest to find pumpkin pie is still to no avail.  but i will not give up hope. my confidence in myself making one though is very low, but maybe mum instead of sending me groceries just send me receipes of some thanksgiving food and i can try and make them.    

and transfers are 2 days after Christmas, and boxing day is the day we get to go to the chapel and watch disney movies all day, so i will probably be packing all night thursday night.  so maybe don't send the groceries until i get to my new place.  that would be nice, so i will give you the info and stuff when that comes around so don't worry about it for a while ya? 

this week i have been thinking a lot about charity and then BAM the lesson in church was about charity.  sometimes God just has to hit you in the face with things till you get them.  but an amazing scripture in the end of the Book of Mormon, Moroni 7:47-48  describes charity and how we can obtain it.    

 But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.
 48 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen.  


I love when it says that we must pray unto Heavenly Father and that He bestows charity upon us.  It isn't going to come just by one simple prayer.  pray with all the energy of my heart.  It was exactly like what you were talking about mum. it takes a lot of effort on our part.  We need to try and see the person as Heavenly Father sees them.  We need to look at the good qualities they have, and what we can learn from them.  everyone does something better than us that we can learn from and it is our job to find it and learn it, and love them.  also I thought that when we try and see God's love in our own lives, we can better love and show our love to others.  (Editor's note:  Italics and bolding are courtesy of me.  I like this idea!)


which is the same with gratitude..... when we look for the blessings He has given us, it becomes easier to see them.   thank you guys so much for the gratitude tree.  It has been a big hit. we have used it in the past few lessons.  one mum, Sister Favoretto, gave me the idea that when we fill it all up to send it back to you. so in a month or so i will send it back!
 
 
 it is amazing when we focus on the amazing things God has given us the infinite amount of things we find.  as we start off maybe begrudgingly listing them, our spirit changes and we become filled with the blessings He has given us.  even the little things like flowers, i smell every pretty flower i walk by... strange i know. and the sunsets and sunrises.  clouds, trees, crunchy leaves, and that is just nature!  I challenge everyone this week to say one gratitude prayer every day.  I can't remember if  I this is what I challenged you last week, and i am too lazy to go and look, so if i did I apologise; and keep doing it! but it really works and it really helps you to see Heavenly Father's hand in our lives, and in the little details of our lives. 

in two days it is interviews with President Jordan! ahhhh where I get rebuked for all the things I am doing wrong.  just kidding... i hope.  it is great though to learn from him and all his wisdom. i am looking forward to it.  also sister jordan makes her infamous brownies.  it should be a great day.  

well i love you guys so much! you really are the best. have a great week! and remember that I am so grateful for you everyday! love ya! rachel  

oh ps this is a talk i read that brad Wilcox gave to BYU a few years ago.  so good please read it! 
https://www.lds.org/youth/article/his-grace-is-sufficient?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment