Monday, December 9, 2013

and in the morning, I'm making waffles!

This is Chris -- I've struggled with how much to share of Rachel's email this week.  I have decided to share the parts of it that aren't too private in the hopes that it could possibly help someone who reads it.  She and the mission president and his wife drove her companion home last night.  She has struggled with severe depression and needed to be home to get help.  Here are Rachel's thoughts.  I'm grateful for the kind and compassionate daughter with which I have been blessed and the wisdom she is gaining.      

Shrek quote for the subject line, and it is due to the fact that last night I spent the night in President and Sister Jordans' flat and he made me waffles in the morning.  We went on a road trip last night to the Birmingham mission and didn't get home till about 2.  

okay ill  quit being so mysterious and tell you whats up.

my companion actually went home last night.  President and Sister Jordan and her and I drove her home last night from about 9pm to 2am.....  It doesn't even seem real. .. .it broke my heart having her go home, she wanted to be such a good missionary ...but I know that Heavenly Father knows best, and now she can get the help she needs ...  so last night I spent the night at presidents home, and now I have just been chilling in the visitor center today.  Idk my mind is a bit overwhelmed at this exact moment in time but hey it is okay.  I have learned so many amazing things from the past 11 weeks.  things I will never ever forget and that will help me the rest of my life.  I just hope and pray that I was able to help her just a little bit.  I am a bit worried that I didn't do enough, didn't do all I could.  President and Sister Jordan said that we were meant to be together ... but a part of me feels like I could have done more. but ya that has pretty much been the majority of life the past little bit.

on a happier note the gratitude tree is full! thank you so much for it. such a good idea, everyone loved it.  also if you could maybe send sister    an email.  she really needs love and support right now. 

i love you so much. thank you so much for your love and support and for being such amazing parents. 

oh ps i forgot to say when i went to get my haircut they offered 18 different types of free drinks...... 14 teas and then beer and wine...... so crazy it was such a posh, aka fancy slash idk how to describe the word posh anyway place.  no idea how expensive till the very end. it was so much i debated on telling them to just put the hair back on my head..... so my haircut is my christmas present to myself because it was so much haha

i love you! i will update you more next week!  have a great week! 

love you guys!!!! rachel

you never told me what cous cous is?? i am not joking, i want to know! 

ahhhhhh 2014! what?? 

 Chris again -- My sister shared a story with me several years ago that I love.  I've pasted it here. 

The Cracked Water Pot

By Sacinandana Swami
A water bearer in India had two large pots, each hung on one end of the pole he carried across the back of his neck. One of the pots had a crack in it, and while the other pot was perfect and always delivered a full portion of water at the end of the long walk from the stream, the cracked pot arrived only half full. This went on every day for two years, with the bearer delivering only one and a half pots of water to his master’s house.
Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishment and saw itself as perfectly suited for the purpose for which it was made. But the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its imperfection and miserable that it was able to accomplish only half of what it had been made to do. After two years of what it perceived as bitter failure, it spoke to the water bearer one day by the stream. “I am ashamed of myself and I want to apologize to you.”
“Why?” asked the bearer. “What are you ashamed of?”
“For the past two years, I have been able to deliver only half my load because this crack in my side causes water to leak out all the way back to your master’s house. Because of my flaws you have to work without getting the full value of your efforts,” the pot said.
The water bearer felt sorry for the old cracked pot, and out of compassion he said, “As we return to the master’s house, I want you to notice the beautiful flowers along the path.” Indeed, as they went up the hill, the old cracked pot took notice of the sun warming the wildflowers on the side of the path. The pot felt cheered.
But at the end of the trail, the pot still felt bad because it had leaked out half its load, and again it apologized for its failure. The bearer said to the pot, “Did you notice that there were flowers only on your side of your path, but not on the other pot’s side? That’s because I knew about your flaw and took advantage of it. I planted flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day while we walk back from the stream, you’ve watered them for me. For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate my master’s table. If you were not just the way you are, he would not have such beauty to grace his house.
Moral: Each of us has his/her unique flaws—we are all cracked pots. But a compassionate and expert devotee can engage us in the Lord’s service, and then we can all be useful, despite our defects.

http://www.wildflowermix.com/images/larger-image/premium-northeast-wildflower-seed.jpg
We're all "cracked pots" in our own way and need to find our individual way to serve the Lord -- with all our heart, might, mind and strength.    Thanks for sharing Rachel's mission with us.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment