Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Birthday, WNBA, Mr. Skinner's circles & Trusting the Lord

I can't believe it is already august.  i can't believe i am turning 21.... nod nod wink wink presents are always accepted my dear family :)  butttt i would send it to the mission office just in case i get moved again.
 
So a few thoughts i had.  I decided that Sunday is the hardest day of the week on a mission because it is the most opposite from what you are used too.  Sundays have always been a day of rest, a day to spend time with loved ones, a day to feel the spirit, go to church, and do churchy things, but here on the mission Sunday is a day to work just like the rest.  So please next time you eat a big Sunday dinner, take a nap, play a game with the family, and just relax please think of me not doing these things and know that you are lucky. ha but i do admit that Church on the mission is always incredible.  This past Sunday was probably the best sacrament meeting I have ever attended.  The testimonies that were born were incredible.  It is amazing how much spirit and love for the gospel this little ward has.  but I feel sorry for the ward because next week i have to give a talk and give a primary lesson.  I was just about to ask you for advice mom on how to teach the kids (especially because 3/4 don't speak english), but i realized i won't be able to read it in time, so never mind.  just wish me luck and keep me in your prayers! 
 
I realized this week that I am destined to play for the WNBA.  i always have just assumed that i was awful at basketball. (well i was), but this week I don't know what happened but i definitely found my star potential.  maybe it was because sis chan is only 5'2" and the elders are about 5'7" but still, i think i found my career when i get home.  you can stop worrying dad i won't just be a moocher off of your money for the rest of my life.   
 
Dad so we are teaching this amazing family, and they are from..... JAPAN! and they are hardcore buddhist.  I was wondering if there was anything you did special to help people with a buddhist belief to realize the importance of Jesus Christ as our Savior. and that we are all children of God, and that we can be together as a family for forever.  I know that was a while ago but any advice oh wise father of mine?
 
So this is mainly for rebecca or anyone in fact who had Mr. Skinner. kylie addison you would probably appreciate this. The other day i found a puddle on the sidewalk that was a perfect circle, and for some reason it reminded me of freshman year when Mr. Skinner claimed that aliens helped him draw perfect circles on the white board.  i almost took a picture. then i looked up and saw how weird Sister Chan was looking at me and figured that it might be a little to strange. butttttt it was pretty cool. 
 
England is literally crazy.  this morning bright and sunny and now pouring.  and of course the computer i am at has a leaky roof and it is raining on me... inside... how is my luck so great. 
 
Two scriptures that I found this week that have really helped me through some stuff is John 14:27, and 2 Ne 22:2.  Isn't the second one the coolest reference.  I will never forget it because it is all twos!
2 Ne 22:2-
Behold, God is my salvation; I will atrust, and not be afraid; for the Lord bJehovah is my cstrength and my dsong; he also has become my salvation.

John 14:27-
27 aPeace I leave with you, my bpeace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be ctroubled, neither let it be afraid.
 
I read John 14:26 alllll the time because it is a scripture they want us to memorize for our missions, but just this week did i read the verse right underneath, and it was literally the exact time that i needed it. 
 
This week has really put some things into perspective for me.  There is this family in the ward that has probably one of the hardest pasts that i have ever heard. yet the mother is one of the most positive people i know.  She has so much faith and trusts in Heavenly Father so much.  This week my eyes have really been opened to how little we know and can control the things that happen around us.  No matter how hard we plan, and no matter how perfect our plan is (or how perfect we think it is), there will always be something that happens not according to plan. we need to learn to accept these hiccups, or in some cases huge mountains, and be able to trust God; that He knows what hiccups and mountains need to be placed where in our lives.  I am so grateful that Heavenly Father is in charge.  Being able to know that He knows me, He knows my fears, He knows my thoughts and desires, and He knows what I need, better than I know myself, is the most comforting thought.  If i follow Him, and trust him He will never lead me astray.  So this week I am going to encourage us to instead of getting wound up over the little things, instead of freaking out when things don't go according to plan, instead of trying to push forward thinking we know best, to not be too proud to fall to our knees and admit that we do not know best, and that we need help; to ask for help to learn what Heavenly Father would have us learn from this certain challenge. so that we can grow and become the person He needs us to become.
 
with that being said mom and Mckay i hear that you are arguing over whether to do the Book of Mormon challenge now that school has started.  To resolve the argument how about we just wait until next July.  And dad mentioned doing a no sugar month at the same time.  so we can do both soon before I come home so that A) i won't be as fat when I come home, and B).... there isn't actually a B but just putting A seems weird. we can do it whenever is best for you guys. just let me know! 
 
Love you! you truly are the best family ever.  trust me i have seen a lot. don't let it go to your heads though.  Enjoy the last bit of summer! before you know it, it will be Christmas and you will get to see my lovely face and hear my lovely voice! lucky you. speaking of lovely voices sister Chan and i sing for investigators in lessons, and one of the old guys we are teaching turned his hearing aid off in the middle.... we were that good.... :)
 
我爱你。( i think and hope that means i love you)
Rachel    
 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment